Skip to main content

Closure of Chapter 1 and Onto Chapter 2


All around the world while every day events occur and life goes on, the class of 2020, myself included is wrapping up their high school careers. This time is bittersweet, for many of us this time means new adventures and the excitement of going into the world as adults. For some of us perhaps there is fear of the world we are entering. Another portion of us might be feeling a time of mourning per say, I know I am... For many people high school is just simply a rite of passage and a step that must be taken on the path of life to get to the next staircase. For some high school is just a limbo area between childhood and adulthood and while that is certainly not a bad thing, for some of us our high school experience goes deeper, much deeper than that. For some high school meant learning life lessons and connecting with mentors whom without we are unsure where we would be right now. It meant being pushed by a teacher who believed in us more than we believed in ourselves. It meant being introduced to a subject we thought we would fail at but instead grew to love and excel at. It meant growing and learning about life, about love, about the world around us and about our own hearts. Some of us met some of the most influential mentors we may ever have in our lives, we had opportunities we didn't dream of having, we had moments that spiked inspiration and drove us into creation and planning for our futures. We made friendships that we only hope will go beyond our high school experience, some of us became whole new people and perhaps right when we began to understand the new version of ourselves the rug was pulled from under us. Point being graduation is an exciting time for students across the globe, however there are a few of us who clung to every word our mentors said and soaked up every moment we had to learn and grow and while moving on may be exciting, we are also mourning the loss of some of the most influential people in our lives. On behalf of those students in the same boat as me who are excited but with the excitement our hearts feel the weight of that we are leaving behind, I want to thank the mentors who impacted us so greatly that we feel this loss. It is bittersweet but I am thankful for the loss I feel because it is a reminder that I had such great people in my life the last four years to cause that feeling now. To my mentors, keep inspiring students, Ms., Vitro, thank you for introducing me hesitant mind to poetry, it has been a way to express myself that I never saw possible before you pushed me to write my very first poem that year. Thank you, Ms. Imig, for taking me under your wing and pushing me to write farther then I have before and helping me to accomplish 4 college credits. Thank you, Mrs. Coleman, for recruiting me to student government as an excited little freshman and helping me reach my goal of becoming class president, thank you for supporting all my crazy ideas and endeavors. Thank you, Ms. Kindler Gains, for answering my endless CTE questions and calming me down every time I got stressed about an assignment or deadline, you kept me steady. Thank you, Mr. Meyers, for providing me the opportunity of a lifetime to compete at ILC, the hard work you put into getting me there means so much. Thank you, Mr. Bergdall, for letting me bug you even after you were no longer on my teacher list, and thank you to all other ORCA staff who had such an impact on my life these last four years. As I go into my next four years, I will keep your words of wisdom in my mind and your caring and compassionate spirits in my heart. Again, thank you and not goodbye but more like see you later perhaps in the next chapter of my life. <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Phoenix

 I feel there is something not talked about enough, everyone knows the feeling of failure. We all make mistakes, comes with being human, we all cope with that. How though do we cope when unplanned mistakes take place, I know your wondering what on earth I mean by this, most mistakes are unplanned… I am referring to the mistakes, the trials that occur even when the “rules” are followed, those that incur even when perhaps we have done everything right that is within in our power. This takes a different type of coping, paired with an even greater understanding and matched with yet a greater perspective. In order to cope and heal from these unplanned mistakes we need to evaluate what was within our control and what was genuinely not. Often times when things go wrong we immediately blame and criticize ourselves because let’s be real, that is much easier than accepting the unknown and accepting the true lack of control we had over the situation. It is facing this fact though that allows for

Defining Life Through Choices

 Life is a crazy thing, what's crazier is how we each define the course we take through it. Often times we categorize our lives by the bigger more obvious choices, for instance taking a job, going back to school, getting married, having children etc. If we created a road map of our lives on paper it would likely consist of big landmark choices. Is it truly those big choices however that sum up our lives? Is it really those land mark sized choices that got us where we are today and propel us further into the future? I'd like to argue that they are not. Every day, every moment we are faced with choices, big and small choices. Perhaps the most seemingly miniscule choices are in fact the most monumental. When you start your day, what thoughts do you allow into your head? How do you nurture your mind, body and soul when you rise and when you begin to settle down for the day? How do you choose to interact with those around you, how do you speak to them? How do you speak to yourself,

Write Your Story

 It’s been over a year since I have last written and I can honestly say it has been quite the year. Writing is an outlet unlike any other, it creates doors to inspire, uplift and change. Perhaps the lives of others may change by the words you place on paper, however I believe the real change happens in the heart of the author. Whether it be fiction or nonfiction or a mix of both, putting the words on paper in a way that betters those around us and potentially those we will never meet aside from words meeting eyes, that changes you. It allows healing, growth, and a change of perspective on life. If there is one thing I have taken from the last year, it is that we are all the author of our own stories, we all have tales dying to be told inside of us, fighting to be born into paper. There is nothing in life that a change in perspective and a plan cannot conquer, we are only as limited as the limits we put on ourselves. Change stands directly in front of all of us, the question is not if i